There are many legal requirements when you marry. I advise you what they are, but the preparation, filing and follow-up are all my responsibility.

Summary of legal requirements to marry in Australia:

  • The first legal paper required is a Notice of Intended Marriage, which must be lodged with me no later than one month and no earlier than 18 months prior to the date of the marriage. In certain circumstances, the Notice can be lodged with the signature of one party only, however, the Notice must be signed by the other party, in my presence, prior to solemnising the marriage. Only in exceptional circumstances can that time be altered. I can prepare this Notice for you and will advise on all ID required for completion.
  • Both parties should be at least 18 years of age.

The ID required for both parties to provide are:

  • A passport. An expired passport is acceptable, however, a cancelled passport is not.


  • An original Birth Certificate or Birth Extract AND a Driver’s Licence or Proof of Age Photo Card
  • If either party has been married before, I must see the Divorce Decree/Order or Death Certificate as evidence that the party/parties are no longer married.

There must be two witnesses to your marriage. They must be 18 years of age or over and able to fully understand English.

The filing of all legal paperwork with Births, Deaths & Marriages, who will register the Marriage within 21 working days, is my responsibility. At your request prior to submitting your Marriage, I can organise for a copy of your Legal Marriage Certificate to be mailed to you as soon as registration takes place, for a small fee.

Let’s start a conversation